Unity is one of the key factors for the success and development of nations. The Muslims are enjoined by Islam to be united so to provide the leadership and moral direction for humanity. History has proven that when Muslims were united, they were able to achieve their religious and civilisational goals.
The revival of the leading role of the Muslim Ummah depends, to a great extent, on their ability to unite all their vast resources: economic, political, intellectual and religious. It is therefore, incumbent upon the Muslim academicians, professionals and politicians to strengthen the UNITY among Muslims.
Towards this end, the International Institute for Muslim Unity (IIMU) was established in 2001. It is a non-partisan institute which aims at fostering and enhancing the UNITY of the Muslim Ummah through a variety of activities such as research, studies, workshops, forums, talks, conferences, publications, dialogues, etc.
The idea of establishing IIMU was first mooted by Y.B. Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Sanusi Junid, the Honorable President of the IIMU. The then Honorable, Prime Minister of Malaysia Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, warmly endorsed the idea and recommended that the institute be called International Institute for Muslim Unity.
The International Institute for Muslim Unity, IIMU aspires to become a leading and respected international intellectual centre, which promotes and fosters the UNITY of the Muslim Ummah.
FOR MUSLIM UNITY
The mission of the Institute is to
achieve the following:
- To create awareness on the importance and necessity of UNITY in restoring the leading, dynamic and progressive roles of the Muslim Ummah at all levels.
- To forge linkages and networkings among all sectors of the Muslim Ummah, especially the younger generation
- To undertake objective studies of the causes of Muslim disunity and conflicts in the world.
- To present tangible models of Muslim UNITY which transcends ethnic, linguistic, cultural and geographical barriers.
- To organize lectures, forums, seminars, works workshops, retreats and conferences on Muslim UNITY
- To conduct researches and studies on Muslim UNITY, its past, present and future.
- To assist the academicians in writing books and articles on unity matters.
- To promote cross-cultural researches to understand Muslim situation and problems.
- To develop a database of the Muslim Ummah in order to form direct information access network.
- To provide a platform for a group of Muslim media practitioners to help in developing an Islamic media system, propagating correct Islamic values and correcting the distorted image of Islam.
- To equip potential future leaders, and agents of change from the younger generation, with necessary skills of leadership through a series of training programs.
- To supervise the activities of Regional Representative Council (RRC)